Head of Risk and Compliance
DepartmentRisk & Compliance
Experience NeededCA(SA) - 10 years post articles experience in a compliance environment.
Skills RequiredCA(SA),ISQC1,ISQM 1,ISQM 2,ISA 220(revised),IESBA & IRBA Codes,International Auditing Standards,IFRS,IFRS for SME,Attention to detail & able to work to deadlines,Ability and inclination to monitor engagements files for compliance with ISAs,Ability to self-manage and to manage and work within a team,Ability present technical material at a senior level,Good communicator,Comfortable interacting with senior staff and directors,Prepared to travel within SA and occasionally outside SA,Ability to converse (read and write) in both English and Afrikaans is a prerequisite,Ability to think out of the box,Challenge and improve current policies and procedures,Ensuring scalability for a diverse membership of firms
Job Start Date2022-02-01
Applications Time2021-12-21 - 0001-01-01
About the position
Introduction to PKF SA
From our website you’ll learn that we are one of the largest mid-tier accounting networks in South Africa and that we belong to a global network which operates from 220 member firms across 150 countries. You will learn that we have 9 independent member firms across South Africa and that we have over 70 partners and more than 950 team members.
What you might not learn from our website is that we are a tight-knit group of entrepreneurial and ambitious professionals who endeavour to turn potential into possible for each other and our clients. That we challenge and then support one another to become the best that we can and to do the best we can for our PKF SA member firms. We are looking for someone whose ambition aligns with our ambition to unlock potential for a better society to join our team and we look forward to meeting you!
The Head of Risk and Compliance, plays a crucial role in leading our network and firms’ quality endeavours. They together with the Risk & Compliance Manager and with the help of the PKF South African Professional Standards Committee (SAPSC), ensure that the network adheres to the applicable professional and legal requirements. In conjunction with the COO & CEO they foster the networks relationships with key stake holders; our PKF SA member firms, the SAPSC, PKF International, SAICA & the IRBA.
- The Head of Risk and Compliance is responsible for the design, implementation, operation and monitoring of the network’s quality management system, currently under the provisions of ISQC1.
- Design, implement, operate and monitor the network’s compliance with the requirements of the upcoming IQSM1, ISQM2 & ISA220(revised). Assisting PKF SA member firms comply with the requirements of ISQM1, ISQM2 & ISA220(revised).
- Design and implement appropriate and practical but scalable policies and procedures required to ensure the PKF SA network’s compliance with the PKF International Professional Standards Manual is achieved to the required standard expected of a PKF member firm.
- Management of the network’s Internal Monitoring of Firms and Engagement Files as part of ISQC1 & ISQM1 compliance. This includes the performance of Internal Monitoring Reviews and Brand Protection Annual Financial Statement Reviews.
- Proactively design and implement quality improvement initiatives within the network.
- Collaborating with the PKF South Africa technical and training teams to provide assistance and guidance to PKF SA member firms, which is of a high quality.
- Lead and direct the efforts of the South African Professional Standards Committee in their efforts to ensure compliance with applicable professional standard and legal or regulatory requirements and to improve firm and engagement level quality.
- Proactively assist PKF SA member firms and PKF SA complying with any IRBA, stock exchange and PKF International requests, instructions, and deadlines.
- Proactively and on a timely basis make PKF SA member firms aware of local and international developments relevant to the public accounting profession.
- Field and respond to technical queries from PKF SA member firms relating to ISQC1, the IRBA Code of Professional Conduct for Registered Auditors, Auditing Profession Act with particular emphasis on independence and ethics.
- Make quality and technical related presentations at a staff and/or director level
- Represent PKF SA on industry or regulatory groups – currently IRBA CFAE.
- With assistance from the National CEO, COO and Chair of the PKF SA Professional Standards Committee, expand the compliance function to a more comprehensive risk and quality management function
- Passionate about Quality, Compliance and Risk Management.
- CA(SA) - 10 years post articles experience in a compliance environment.
- Expert level knowledge of ISQC1, ISQM 1 & 2, ISA 220(revised), the IESBA & IRBA Codes and the International Auditing Standards.
- Sound knowledge of IFRS and IFRS for SME.
- Attention to detail & able to work to deadlines.
- Ability and inclination to monitor engagements files for compliance with ISAs.
- Ability to self-manage and to manage and work within a team.
- Ability present technical material at a senior level.
- Good communicator, especially the ability to explain complex matters with clarity and simplicity.
- Comfortable interacting with senior staff and directors, able to engage in challenging conversations when required.
- Prepared to travel within SA and occasionally outside SA.
- Ability to converse (read and write) in both English and Afrikaans is a prerequisite.
- Ability to think out of the box in order to challenge and improve current policies and procedures, ensuring scalability for a diverse membership of firms, is essential.